Drum Scanning Services
Drum scans are the ultimate form of digitization of film and great care is given to each and every one of Michael's own scans, and now he's happy to be offering that same service and quality to you. Scans will be provided to in either 16 bit LAB or Pro Photo RGB color space. Files will be delivered via GoogleDrive, WeTransfer, or a USB drive you provide. Resolution will vary based on the film format and custom scans can be made at your request, but based on testing, Michael has determined the best optical resolution vs. film size for a scan, which he will provide by default.
- 35mm at 6k dpi - $35 per image - file size about 700 MB
- 35mm X-Pan at 6k dpi - $40 per image - file size about 1.3 MB
- 645, 6x6, and 6x7 at 5k dpi - $45 per image - file sizes range from 1-1.3 GB
- 6x8, 6x9 at 5k dpi - $50 per image - file sizes range from 1.4-1.5 GB
- 6x12, 6x17 at 5k dpi - $60 per image - file sizes range from 1.9-2.2 GB
- 4x5 at 4k dpi - $70 per image - file size about 1.7 GB
- 5x7 at 3k dpi - $85 per image - file size about 1.7 GB
- 8x10 at 2k dpi - $110 per image - file size about 1.7 GB
- 8x10 at 4k dpi - $225 per image - file size about 4 GB
- Return shipping of $10 will be charged at time of order for all US customers
- International customers will be based on quote provided by USPS or Fedex
- Bulk discount will be applied on orders of 10 frames or more
- Due to the labor involved for a manual inversion, color negative film is subject to a 25% surcharge over the price of the scan.
- Drum scans will be dust spotted zoomed to 60%. If you wish to have full dust cleanup, a service charge of 25% over the price of the scan will be added.
Turnaround time is usually 1-2 weeks, based on availability. Email Michael at michael@michaelstricklandimages, or fill out the form below if you'd like your film scanned. Michael will be in touch with you as soon as possible.
About Drum Scans
A drum scanner is essentially a precision digital camera used to scan reflective and transparent materials at an extremely high resolution. It captures the image with analog light, producing the most detail possible in each color channel and then converts it to a digital file. With this, you achieve essentially noise-less shadow areas, increased detail in the shadows on transparency film, and overall increased sharpness and tonality. Michael accepts both transparency and negative film of all kinds. You can read more about Michael's drum scans by clicking the button below.
If you like your scans, tell your friends! For every person you refer my services to, you'll get one free scan of your choice. Just make sure they provide your name and when you send in your next order, you'll get your free scan. $10 shipping charge still applies.